31 October, 2008

Metal, Mesh & Messy


This was fun! Sian (here) has created a 'metal, mesh and messy' swap, meaning that you have to use metal, mesh and something messy (i.e. inks and paints).
So, I used one of my favourite techniques where you dry brush the card with a couple of coats of acrylic paint (burnt sienna and naples yellow). Once dry, you stamp and emboss with clear embossing powder and cover with another layer of paint (I used gold). Once this has dried again, you put a plain peice of paper over the card and iron with a craft iron to take up the embossing powder and leave the underneath paint showing.
I then covered some metal with various colours of alcohol inks and overstamped the dreamy lady using black stazon. I roughly cut some sequin waste and aged it with brown stazon and stuck this down. I secured the metal to the ATC using brads and then curled the edges.
Finally, I stuck some gems down onto the card and surrounded them with glossy accents to make sure they didn't get knocked off and to add some shininess to the card. It's more shimmery in the flesh than you can see in the photo, as I used gold metallic mixatives in the alcohol inks (I like that stuff!).
My obsession with gold,brown and cream continues, obviously! I've even taking to wearing it! I'm usually a black clothes sort of girl (I decide I'm definitely going to go out and buy coloured clothes and come back with black every time!) but I've started buying cream and white tops, brown bags and boots and belts and jumpers. All very strange. . .
Oh yes, and my hands are suitably messy - I'm covered in alcohol inks and I've got gold acrylic paint all over my nails - so I hope Sian is happy!

6 comments:

Sian said...

LOL, of course I'm happy. It looks fantastic and I'll look forward to seeing it. I think I'll have to try that background technique too as I really like the sound of it and the effect looks brilliant on the ATC you've sent me.

WendyK said...

Kim, this is lovely, might join the swap now. Love all the textures, and even like the colour. It's strange how we tend to get stuck in a colour rut.
I'll put a link to your blog on mine.

My name is CINDY...... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My name is CINDY...... said...

Hee hee did it all wrong!! There's something for you on my blog.

And yes, don't those inks mess up your nails!!

Flippinpest said...

Fantastic effect..this ATC is brill :-)

joey said...

Hi Kim, this is fantastic! I love the texture brill.x