27 October, 2008

Mixed Media Monday

This is my first ever attempt at doing a challenge blog ATC - Mixed Media Monday (here).
The theme was 'lock and key' and this is my take on it.
The underlayer is just painted card (mixed gold and pearlescent white acrylic paint). The card with the stamping on is actually layers of work but it didn't quite turn out how I expected (and photographed really badly!).
First I painted it using the irridescent white, and using sequin mesh and cut'n'dry foam I put the mixed gold and white paint on, then moved the mesh and went over it with pure gold paint. For the next layer I stamped using a collage stamp and the gold paint mixed with burnt sienna. I didn't like the effect of this so I sanded it with fine sandpaper to make it paler, which I quite liked. Then I scrumpled up the ATC and inked it using antique linen and tattered rose distress inks, sprayed with water and ironed it flat again. Phew!
Then I put the sequin mesh down the side and trimmed it, and stamped the edwardian lady using brown stazon. I used her as I thought this matched the theme, what with women having no vote and etc etc. I finished off with the brads and the key (jusst to make the theme a little more obvious!!).
Oh yes - I also inked the edges of both cards with walnut stain ink before I put them together.
Needed to do something to take my mind of the terrible hash I made of my development centre today. There goes my promotion in March. . .

11 comments:

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Great to see your blog so lively again Kim - stamping, painting, crumpling, sticking, brayering -- and more and more!
All lovely things - I can't keep up with you! LOL
And thank you for the tag - I know I haven't passed it on properly but I've done my best! Connie.

vintage wil said...

beautiful !!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous Kim, great to see you join the challenge blog crowd! Have fun with it!

Beth said...

Iridescent inks never photograph perfectly, but your design and colors are lovely.

Kris Dickinson said...

How lovely! I'm so glad you've joined in! Welcome!

Stempelchaotin said...

Wow this is fantastic.
Unbelievable piece of art.

Sian said...

This looks great. I wish I could see the background effects properly. I always have the same problem with photographing mine.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your ATC is stunning...love the tones and your use of sequin waste is beautiful. Great card.

runningonink said...

GORGEOUS! What a great combo of elements and textures!

Moira said...

I think this is extraordinary, your description allows us to see what the camera doesn't, so much depth and interest in it, lovely

mixedmediamonday said...

Kim, this looks wonderful - I'd love to see it in real life! Thanks for participating on Mixed Media Monday - hope to see you lots more. Diane